Ute driving among coconut plantation in Samoa overlay

Getting a Drivers' Licence

All international visitors to Samoa who want to drive a vehicle or motorcycle must obtain a temporary drivers licence.

This is possible if the driver presents a full drivers’ licence from their country of origin.

Temporary drivers’ permits are available from most rental vehicle companies. Alternatively, visit the Samoa Tourism Information Center, Samoa Post or the Samoa Land Transport Authority in Apia.

A driving permit costs WST$21 for one month, but car rental companies may charge a fee on top of this. 

An endorsed international drivers’ licence can only be used for a period of 90 days maximum in any one year; a longer period requires a Samoan drivers’ licence.

Hire a vehicle

Find out about hiring a vehicle in Samoa and book a car, van or scooter for your holiday.